Thursday, December 11, 2008

New Finds

Hey everyone! I know its been a while and its a little embarassing actually. So I went thrifting and picked up a few things. I also headed over to eBay and picked up a few books. Then I went over to TCM.com and subscribed to their magazine which I will scan the once I get them. But for know i'll show what I got...

New electrical typewriter I bought for $15.00 and it works. The price was high but it worked and it came with a great looking case. I put my vintage book on top as well as the owls I found. I thought it would be a nice touch!

Photobucket


Manual typewriter. I had to get one that didn't use electricity. I am a writer and I thought it would be a great idea to get one when ideas just pop out. I have Sweet Slumber on Barnes and Noble.com as well as Amazon. I am in the process of writing a novel so I got inspired a little by this typewriter. Anyway, I was on the search for a manual for sometime. I called this thriftstore to ask if they had any they said no. By fluke I ended up going and I found one. Which kinda bothered me because I called just a couple days before and they said no. I found it way in the back in a case covered and next to a electric. The manual had no price on it. So I took it up to the counter at first they didn't want to sell it to me because it had no price then another woman persuaded her to give me a price. All I had was $15.00 dollars of money left in my account, I was willing to pay $10.00. She said $25.00 so I couldn't afford it. Then I remembered the lady that set the price always priced everything too high. I came in one day and she told me that the doll she was holding was worth $50.00, which is fine but it was a brand new cabbage patch doll. Very hard to believe a toy made in the 80's that is brand new is worth that much. I bought those gold owls there she said these are worth like $50 each and a folower tin she said was worth $100. I don't think so. So I returned the typewriter where I got it. Then I saw that the one next to it was only $8.99, they were busy and I didn't notice it until I was leaving. So a few days later I came back to see if it had an offical price on it. It didn't but the same lady wasn't working there that day so I was hoping it would be priced down I talked to the other lady I hadn't seen and I showed it to her. I asked her if she priced things she said sometimes so she said they look like the same thing so she priced it $8.99! I was so happy so I bought it and was very happy. The ribbon itself is in good shape to, I suppose if I have to I will get more ribbion on eBay, I have seen them there.



Photobucket


My pins, I bought a couple of new pins but I though I'd show all the one's I have so far. The red flower is new as well as the two below it. I usually find a good deal on them, plus I wear them so why not keep buyin them cheap.

Photobucket


Nancy Drew! So I have been deciding should I get into Nancy or not. I finally decided sure. I went to the used book store they charged $6.00 a book. I went to eBay first to see if I could find a deal. I decided to get the vintage ones, if not the orginals from the 30's than the ones from the 50's would probably be easier. I also wanted to get the first one at least so I can start with knowing about the first volume. So I did find a deal on eBay. I got 4 for $7.00 including shipping! So it was a great deal and it came with vol. 1 and 2.


Photobucket

New bios! I collect biographies of classic Hollywood so I picked up some more for cheap. I have a lot of books though. My draws are filled with them, I can't stop and I don't like renting them in fear of not returning them in time so I just buy them. Usually opt for used books because they are cheaper. Then trade ones I no longer want in for credit towards new ones. But here are the bios I picked up: Liz by C. David Heymann, Lauren Bacall Now by Lauren Bacall (I have her first one) her second auto bio, A Woman Named Jackie by C. David Heymann, It's All In The Playing by Shirley Maclaine (I also have another one of hers, she has 5 total), Grace A Love Story by George Burns, Maria Callas by Simon and Schuster, and Mommie Dearest by Christina Crawford-i'm nervous about reading this one I think Joan is a great actress it is just hard to read harsh personally things about her motherhood life.



Photobucket



More to come...Nightgowns, Ava Gardner bio, and Now Playing TCM Magazine.

No comments: